Thursday, April 15, 2010

THE READING LIFE ... SOO Wincci

CELEBRITIES AND READING
There’s more to their pretty faces, arresting vocals and admirable achievements. Here’s proof that even celebrities turn to good old books to keep learning about the world around them. ERIC FORBES takes a respite from reading and talks to six famous Malaysians in the entertainment industry about their favourite books and how they find the time to read despite their busy schedules. THIS INSTALMENT: SOO WINCCI

FORMER MISS MALAYSIA/Miss World 2008 SOO WINCCI is an easygoing person with a positive attitude. “I love challenging myself from time to time,” she says. “Once I set my mind on anything, I will fight for it no matter what.” She admits that she is a workaholic who will willingly sacrifice personal time for work.

Not only has Soo completed her law degree at the University of Reading in the United Kingdom, she has also garnered an MBA from the University of Sunshine Coast in Australia. After completing her studies, she won the Miss Malaysia title in 2008. She is now one busy lady in the Malaysian entertainment industry. She has just released her first vocal EP and acted in a Malaysian Chinese drama. She is also the ambassador of a few charities. She has just completed hosting a local food show and is now working on her second album, as well as parts in a few local television drama series. “I hope that in the near future, I will step into the international entertainment arena and achieve greater success.”

Interview by ERIC FORBES
Photographs courtesy of SOO WINCCI

Where do you find the time to read with your busy schedule?
I read during breaks between filming and photography shoots, and also before I go to sleep at night.

Do you think reading matters?
Reading definitely matters because reading is the main source of knowledge and it also helps to exercise our minds.

What kinds of books did you read when you were growing up?
I grew up reading fiction, especially romance novels.

Who are some of your favourite contemporary writers? What are some of your favourite contemporary books?
J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings trilogy and J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series are firm favourites. I believe these books are masterpieces in imaginative fiction. Tolkien and Rowling have successfully conjured invented worlds between the pages of their books. With their unique ideas and writing styles, their stories transport you to another world.

Do you have an all-time favourite book? Why do you enjoy it?
Yes, Rhonda Byrne’s The Secret. I’ve read it a couple of times. It helped me build my mental strength. It also taught me that nothing is impossible if you put your heart and mind to it.

What do you think are the essentials of good fiction? What distinguishes the great novels from the merely good?
I think good fiction must have a strong plot to make us understand the story well. It must also be written stylistically. Interesting settings are equally important.

What are you reading at the moment?
I am reading Michael J. Losier’s Law of Attraction, a personal-development guide that is full of tips on improving our lives. I am also reading a couple of Chinese-language novels to improve my Chinese.

What are your thoughts on the future of books, particularly on e-books and e-book readers? Do you think they will replace physical books one of these days?
Undoubtedly, everything is online nowadays. I think e-books will replace most of the physical books as they are easier to access and cheaper in the future. However, there will still be a market for physical books as collector’s items.

Reproduced from the April-June 2010 issue of Quill magazine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home