Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What I Found at ... Kinokuniya KLCC

Fiction
1. Half of a Yellow Sun (2006) / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
2. Tanamera (1981) / Noel Barber
3. The Feast of Love (2000) / Charles Baxter
4. The Shadow Lines (1988) / Amitav Ghosh
5. The Whole World Over (2006) / Julia Glass
6. The Reluctant Fundamentalist (2007) / Mohsin Hamid
7. The Story of the Night (1997) / Colm Tóibín

Nonfiction
1. In Spite of the Gods: The Strange Rise of Modern India (2006) / Edward Luce
2. Books, Baguettes and Bedbugs: The Left Bank World of Shakespeare & Co. (2005) / Jeremy Mercer
3. Butter Chicken in Ludhiana: Travels in Small Town India (1995) / Pankaj Mishra
4. The Happy Isles of Oceania: Paddling the Pacific (1992) / Paul Theroux
5. The Kingdom by the Sea: A Journey Around the Coast of Great Britain (1983) / Paul Theroux

6 Comments:

Blogger Poppadumdum said...

An AMAZING cover for Tanamera! Is that the Hodder Edition?

Monday, August 27, 2007 3:06:00 AM  
Blogger Eric Forbes said...

I think there are two versions of the cover. I couldn't find the version I saw at Kinokuniya. I found the one on my blog from amazon.co.uk. Yes, they are Hodder editions. I thought both versions were amazing!

Monday, August 27, 2007 3:15:00 AM  
Blogger Happy Reader said...

Eric,
I am intrigued about the pankaj mishra book. Thanks for the great suggestions. I will be travelling to India next month and I would like to buy some 'Must Reads' by Indian authors during my visit. Can you pls do a post on Indian literature?
Thanks

Monday, August 27, 2007 9:01:00 AM  
Blogger Eric Forbes said...

Pankaj Mishra is one of my favourite writers. He is of course the author of a novel, The Romantics (1999) and is a wonderful travel writer and literary critic. Butter Chicken in Ludhiana was his first travel book published in India, but is now reissued in a brand-new edition. Indian literature is one of my favourite genres. Enjoy your trip to India next month, Happy Reader!

Monday, August 27, 2007 5:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Hooder edition of Tanamera with the red lanterns were a bit chinoiserie-exotic for me! Prefer this grey one.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:39:00 AM  
Blogger Eric Forbes said...

Anon - I know what you mean. I prefer the greyish one as well.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home