Wednesday, August 31, 2005

2005 BOOKER PRIZE for FICTION
A shortlist of some of my favourites

FOR WHATEVER IT’S WORTH, here is my shortlist of six novels for the 2005 Booker Prize for Fiction. Outside favourites include John Banville’s The Sea and Hilary Mantel’s Beyond Black. Hopefully, some of my choices will make it to the shortlist. The official shortlist will be announced on September 8, 2005, while the winner will be announced on October 10, 2005.

Arthur & George / Julian Barnes
A Long Long Way / Sebastian Barry
Never Let Me Go / Kazuo Ishiguro
The People’s Act of Love / James Meek
On Beauty / Zadie Smith
The Accidental / Ali Smith

2 Comments:

Blogger bibliobibuli said...

Thanks for this, Eric. Am desperate to read the ones I've not read yet. really don't want Saturday to win, although it is an interesting read and I liked it better than many of McEwan's novels ...

The Ishiguro I have my fingers crossed for ... tho' maybe I'm going to like the others more ...

Kinokuniya is going to have a special offer for the whole long list ...

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 2:16:00 AM  
Blogger Eric Forbes said...

Sharon - It's really nice hearing from you. Yes, I agree with you with regard to Ian McEwan's Saturday (2005). I believe McEwan is one of the best writers writing in the U.K. today. There's no doubt about this. And in Saturday, he documents a day in the so-far perfect life of a successful London neurosurgeon. In lesser hands most probably such a premise will not work. But in the hands of a prose stylist like McEwan, what we have is a richly textured literary sleight-of-hand, though I very much preferred his last novel, Atonement (2001). But then, you don't really read McEwan for plot - more for the way the story is narrated. He should have won the Booker Prize for Atonement - not Saturday, I think. But then, he has already won the 1998 Booker Prize for Fiction for Amsterdam (1998).

Yes, it is good to know that Kinokuniya is going to do a special promotion for the whole longlist.

Happy reading!

Thursday, September 01, 2005 4:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home